Tuesday, May 20, 2008

May 11, 2008 Mother's Day

* The most important occupation on earth for a woman is to be a real mother to her children. It does not have much glory to it; there is a lot of grit and grime. It’s kind of like a grimy shepherd taking care of wandering sheep. But there is no greater place of ministry, position, or power than that of a mother. --Phil Whisenhunt

God is more interested in making us what He wants us to be than giving us what we think we ought to have.


10 Hints for a Hope-Filled Day

1. Today I Will Not Strike Back
If someone is rude, impatient or unkind, I will not respond in a like manner.

2. Today I Will Ask God to Bless My "Enemy"
If I come across someone who treats me harshly or unfairly, I will quietly ask God to bless that individual.

3. Today I Will be careful About What I Say
I will carefully choose and guard my words, being certain that I do not spread gossip.

4. Today I Will Go the Extra Mile
I will find ways to share the burden of another.

5. Today I Will Forgive
I will forgive any hurts or injuries that come my way.

6. Today I will Do Something Nice for Someone
I will reach out and bless the life of another.

7. Today I Will Raise the Spirits of Someone Who is Discouraged
My smile, my words, my expression of support can make the difference to someone who is wrestling with life.

8. Today I Will Nurture My Body
I will eat less; I will eat only healthy foods. I will thank God for my body.

9. Today I Will Grow Spiritually
I will spend a little more time in prayer. I will find a quiet place and listen to God's voice!

10. Today I Will Celebrate Forgiveness in Christ
even when I don't live up to the other nine hints listed above!


"One person with passion is better than forty who are merely interested." -- Thomas K. Connellan

"You can preach a better sermon with your life than with your lips." -- Oliver Goldsmith
A faith worth having is a faith worth sharing.
I hear you broke off your engagement.
Yes, my feelings for Jimmy have changed.
Did you give back the ring?
No, my feelings for the ring haven’t changed.

The Lord wants our precious time, not our spare time.

No burden is too heavy for the everlasting arms.

God put the church in the world. Satan tries to put the world in the church.

Come Easter, we were so poor, Dad couldn’t afford new outfits. So he took us to a different church.

I went out with a nurse last night.
If you behave, maybe next time they’ll let you go out by yourself.

Men do not reject the Bible because it contradicts itself but because it contradicts them.
We had so big a family that we had to stand in line for dinner - in alphabetical order.

Coach dismissed me from the team the other day; said I must be taking performance un-enhancing drugs.

The most popular games in Christian circles today are One Upsmanship, Blind man’s bluff, and Heavenly bridges falling down.
It doesn’t matter how fast you’re running with the football - if you’re running in the wrong direction.

Sheep 1. Baa.
Sheep 2. Moo.
Sheep 1. What’s the matter with you, sheep don’t say moo?
Sheep 2. I’m learning a foreign language.


The Meanest Mom
Was your Mom mean?? I know mine was.
We had the meanest mother in the whole world!
While other kids ate candy for breakfast, we had to have cereal, eggs and toast.
When others had a Pepsi and a Twinkie for lunch, we had to eat sandwiches.
And you can guess our mother fixed us a dinner that was different from what other kids had, too.
Mother insisted on knowing where we were at all times. You'd think we were convicts in a prison. She had to know who our friends were, and what we were doing with them.
She insisted that if we said we would be gone for an hour, we would be gone for an hour or less.
We were ashamed to admit it, but she had the nerve to break the Child Labor Laws by making us work. We had to wash the dishes, make the beds, learn to cook, vacuum the floor, do laundry, and all sorts of cruel jobs. I think she would lie awake at night thinking of more things for us to do.
She always insisted on us telling the truth the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. By the time we were teenagers, she could read our minds. Then, life was really tough!
Mother wouldn't let our friends just honk the horn when they drove up. They had to come up to the door so she could meet them. While everyone else could date when they were 12 or 13, we had to wait until we were 16.
Because of our mother we missed out on lots of things other kids experienced. None of us have ever been caught shoplifting, vandalizing other's property or ever arrested for any crime.
It was all her fault. We never got drunk, took up smoking, stayed out all night, or a million other things other kids did.
Sundays were reserved for church, and we never missed once. We knew better than to ask to spend the night with a friend on Saturdays. Now that we have left home, we are all God-fearing, educated, honest, adults.
We are doing our best to be mean parents just like Mom was. I think that is what's wrong with the world today. It just doesn't have enough mean Moms anymore.

Enjoy the little things, for one day, you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Robert Brault

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home