Tuesday, May 20, 2008

April 13, 2008

The shepherd is responsible for the sheep; not the sheep for the shepherd. The worst of it is, that we sometimes think we are both the shepherd and the sheep, and that we have to both guide and follow. Happy are we when we realize that he is responsible, that he goes before and goodness and mercy shall follow. --Streams in the Desert

God controls the wind, but we adjust the sails.

When I tried to propose marriage to my girlfriend the other night, she told me to log onto eBay and put my bid in.



When the door of happiness closes, another opens, but often times we look so long at the closed door that we don't see the one which has been opened for us.
It is a fact of Christian experience that life is a series of troughs and peaks. In his efforts to get permanent possession of a soul, God relies on the troughs more than the peaks. And some of his special favorites have gone through longer and deeper troughs than anyone else.
-- Peter Marshall

I don’t think about how sorry my income is until tax time when they start calling it my gross earnings
Rich in God, rich in good.
“All that is not eternal in value, is eternally out of date.” (C S Lewis)
Golfer to Caddy. What do I need to shoot to finish this golf tournament in the lead?
Caddy. All the other players.
Sports is a microcosm of society. If you know where we are in sports, you kind of know where the world is. Is the world getting more unpredictable? Is it getting more aggressive? Yeah, so is sports. It’s getting much more vulgar. Nobody wants to play by the rules anymore. Look at the steroids. Look at everything that goes on - that’s exactly what’s going on in the world.” It is hard to love sports anymore because of its selfish interests, egocentrism, emerging lawlessness, and lavish mentality. Ah, but the people love to have it so.
Lord, I have been so defeated by circumstances. I have felt like an animal trapped in a corner with nowhere to flee. Where are You in all this, Lord? The night is dark. I cannot feel Your presence. Help me to know that the darkness is really "Shade of Your hand, outstretched caressingly"; that the "hemming in" is Your doing. Perhaps there was no other way You could get my full attention, no other way I would allow You to demonstrate what You can do in my life. I see now that the emptier my cup is, the more space there is to receive Your love and supply. --Catherine Marshall, "Adventures in Prayer"

Riding Dead Horses
Conventional wisdom tells us that, "When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount." However, in institutionalized organizations
scientifically advanced strategies are often employed by doing the following:
* Buying a stronger whip
* Changing riders
* Appointing a committee to see how other cultures ride dead horses
* Lowering the standards so that dead horses can be included
* Reclassifying the dead horse as "living impaired"
* Hiring outside contractors to ride the dead horse
* Harnessing several dead horses together to increase speed
* Promoting the dead horse to a supervisory position.

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me!" -- Cited by Andy Chap


Help Thyself
Did you hear about the teacher who was helping one of her kindergarten students put his boots on? He asked for help and she could see why. With her pulling and him pushing, the boots still didn't want to go on. When the second boot was on, she had worked up a sweat. She almost whimpered when the little boy said, "Teacher, they're on the wrong feet." She looked and, sure enough, they were.
It wasn't any easier pulling the boots off than it was putting them on. She managed to keep her cool as together they worked to get the boots back on--this time on the right feet. He then announced, "These aren't my boots."
She bit her tongue rather than get right in his face and scream, "Why didn't you say so?" like she wanted to. Once again, she struggled to help him pull the ill-fitting
boots off. He then said, "They're my brother's boots. My Mom made me wear them."
She didn't know if she should laugh or cry. She mustered up the grace to wrestle the boots on his feet again. She said, "Now, where are your mittens?" He said, "I stuffed them in the toes of my boots."
I can't help but wonder how many of my problems are either caused or greatly increased because of my foolishness or what I have done!

"You were born rich with 18 billion bountiful, beautiful, totally available and in all probability under-used brain cells awaiting your desire, decision and directional
compass to take you onward, upward, goodward and Godward."
Our Greatest Wealth
We are born with two eyes in front because we must not always look behind, but see what lies ahead beyond ourselves.
We are born to have two ears -- one left, one right -- so we can hear both sides, collect both the compliments and criticisms, to see which are right.
We are born with a brain concealed in a skull... then no matter how poor we are, we are still rich, for no one can steal what our brain contains, packing in more jewels and rings than you can think.
We are born with two eyes, two ears, but one mouth... for the mouth is a sharp weapon. It can hurt, flirt, and kill. Remember our motto: talk less, listen and see more.
We are born with only one heart... deep in our ribs it reminds us to appreciate and give love from deep within.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home