Monday, October 09, 2006

October 1, 2006

RAMBLING THOUGHTS
I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I don't know what to feed it.
I had amnesia once -- or twice.
I went to San Francisco. I found someone's heart. Now what?
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic.
What is a "free" gift? Aren't all gifts free?
They told me I was gullible and I believed them.
Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and when he grows up, he'll never be able to merge his car onto a freeway.
Two can live as cheaply as one, for half as long.
Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
One nice thing about egotists: They don't talk about other people.
If the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to look like a nail.
What was the greatest thing before sliced bread? Hmmmm?

A vision without action is called a daydream; but then again, action without a vision is called a nightmare.

My heart has committed sins that my hands haven't gotten around to yet. --Michael Horton

"Do you think they approved of my sermon?" asked the newly-arrived pastor, hopeful that he had made a good impression.
"Yes, I think so," replied his wife, "they were all nodding."

Driving to a new restaurant, a woman took several wrong turns. When she finally found the right road, she asked her husband, "Why didn't you tell me I was lost?"
"I thought you knew where you were going," he replied. "You always know where you're going when I'm driving!"

Prayer brings us to the very gates of heaven. When we are at the mercy seat, we are partly on earth and partly in heaven. Our prayers are in heaven already, and we are breathing the very atmosphere of heaven. --A. B. Simpson

"People don't want to experience church. They want to experience God's presence."

Have Fun Flying a Plane .. flight simulator. http://www.isoma.net/games/goggles.html

please stop by LeeStrobel.com to peruse some of the hundreds of video clips in the searchable library. “Investigating Faith. “

Oslo teens who drank the most sugary soft drinks also had more mental health problems such as hyperactivity and distress, Norwegian researchers reported on Thursday.
Their study of more than 5,000 Norwegian 15- and 16-year-olds showed a clear and direct association between soft drink intake and hyperactivity, and a more complex link with other mental and behavioral disorders.

The teacher asked her class what each wanted to become when they grew up. A chorus of responses came from all over the room. "A football player," "A doctor," "An astronaut," "The president," "A fireman," "A teacher," "A race car driver." Everyone that is, except Tommy.
The teacher noticed he was sitting there quiet and still. So she said to him, "Tommy, what do you want to be when you grow up?"
"Possible" Tommy replied. "Possible?" asked the teacher.
"Yes," Tommy said. "Mom is always telling me I'm impossible. So when I get to be big, I want to be possible."

Notice the word *fruit* is singular, yet it lists nine. So there is only one fruit of the Spirit. That fruit is LOVE. The others...
Joy - love smiling
Peace - love resting
Patience - love waiting
Kindness - love showing itself sensitive to others' feelings
Goodness - love making allowances
Faithfulness - love proving constant
Gentleness - love yielding
Self-control - love triumphing over selfish inclinations
--Author Unknown



The Doctrine of Relative Filth By Michael Josephson of Character Counts (451.1)
In the early nineties I was asked to spend a full day talking about ethics with the entire California Senate. I was their punishment. Three senators were convicted the previous year and voters passed an ethics initiative including a requirement that legislators receive education on principles of ethics.
This was a high-profile, high-prestige program and I didn't want to be naïve about the political realities and rationalizations in Sacramento, so I spent days interviewing senators and staffers.
During one interview a very senior staffer confided, "We need this program. People really lie a lot up here." I wondered, should I act surprised? "Lying in the state's capitol? I'm shocked!" But before I could respond the staffer added, "I hardly ever lie."
"Gee," I thought, "do you hardly ever take bribes?"
Though his statement about lying sounded like a confession, he wasn't embarrassed at all. In fact, he was proud. "Hardly ever lying" made him morally superior. In a culture where lying is common, the occasional liar feels like a saint. In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
I've heard variations of this justification--"I'm not so bad as long as others are worse"--so many times I've given it a name: The Doctrine of Relative Filth.
It's a rationalization used by cheating athletes and coaches, dishonest businessmen, and others who minimize their moral shortcomings by comparing themselves to others who have even lower standards.
What a pathetic defense! People of character aren't satisfied being better than someone else. They strive to be the best they can be.
This is Michael Josephson reminding you that character counts.

People around us need more than food, they need a Father.
They need more than water, they need to hear the Word of God.
And they need more than mere compassion, they need Christ.

The world as a village of hundred people http://users.gazinter.net/melan/Warn/Warnenu.htm

1 Comments:

Blogger 21stCenturySocks said...

After a long and happy life joypastordon passed away.
As he approached heaven and the Pearly Gates he saw two signs one said "hen pecked husbands" and there was a queue stretching back as far as the eye could see. The other said "masters of their home" and not a soul was seen in that queue.
joypastordon, sighed and walked up to the "masters" sign.
A little while later St Peter came out of the Pearly Gates and almost dropped his book to see someone in the "masters" queue.
"Name" he demanded "joypastordon" came the reply.
"Ah" said St Peter checking his book, "I knew it, you're in the wrong queue. Why are you standing there?"
joypastordon bowed his head and said " because my wife told me to".

I hope you are not offended.

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home