Sunday, September 24, 2006

September 24

"A school is a building with four walls and tomorrow inside." -- Barbara Knight

"Tell me and I forget; teach me and I may remember; involve me and I learn." -- Ben Franklin

"A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still." -- Unknown

"It is no great thing to be humble when you are brought low; but to be humble when you are praised is a great and rare attainment." -- St. Bernard (1090-1153)



The Agony of Change
For years, the opening of "The Wide World of Sports" television program illustrated "the agony of defeat" with a painful ending to an attempted ski jump. The skier appeared in good form as he headed down the jump, but then, for no apparent reason, he tumbled head over heels off the side of the jump, bouncing off the supporting structure.
What viewers didn't know was that he chose to fall rather than finish the jump. Why? As he explained later, the jump surface had become too [icy] fast, and midway down the ramp, he realized if he completed the jump, he would land on the level ground, beyond the safe sloping landing area, which could have been fatal. As it was, the skier suffered no more than a headache from the tumble.
To change one's course in life can be a dramatic and sometimes painful undertaking, but change is better than a fatal landing at the end.

Many years ago my just married young cousin moved into an upstairs apartment and invited some of her women friends over for the evening. She put out snacks and then came out with a cake that looked like a disaster. She apologized and said she didn't know what happened to the cake because, she explained, "I even used the high altitude directions because I live upstairs."

Bernie was unfortunate enough to be hit by a 10 ton truck and landed up in hospital in intensive care. His best friend Morris came to visit him. Bernie struggles to tell Morris, "My wife Sadie visits me three times a day. She's so good to me. Every day, she reads to me at the bedside."
"What does she read?" "My life insurance policy."

Our first three babies, all girls, each weighed about seven pounds at birth. When our fourth arrived, he was much larger. After delivery, the medical team began testing and measuring my new son. The last reading came from a nurse, who seemed impressed as she read, "Weight---nine pounds, eight ounces." My husband, a CPA in corporate finance who'd been quiet up to this point, could contain himself no longer. "How bout that!" he exclaimed happily. "It's 36% more baby for my money!"


Look at the world around you, and you'll see God's creativity;
Look at the dinner table, and you'll see God's providence;
Look at the mirror, and you'll see God's sense of humor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home