Sunday, December 03, 2006

December Newsletter

~He Is God~
He is the First and Last,
The Beginning and the End!
He is the keeper of Creation and the Creator of all!
He is the Architect of the Universe and the Manager of all times.
He always was, He always is, and He always will be..
Unmoved, Unchanged, Undefeated, and never Undone!
He was bruised and brought healing!
He was pierced and eased pain!
He was persecuted and brought freedom!
He was dead and brought life!
He is risen and brings power!
He reigns and brings Peace!
The world can't understand him,
The armies can't defeat Him,
The schools can't explain Him, and
The leaders can't ignore Him.
Herod couldn't kill Him,
The Pharisees couldn't confuse Him, and
The people couldn't hold Him!
Nero couldn't crush Him, Hitler couldn't silence Him,
The New Age can't replace Him, and "Oprah" can't explain Him away!
He is light, love, longevity, and Lord.
He is Goodness, Kindness, Gentleness, and God.
He is Holy, Righteous, mighty, powerful, and pure.
His ways are right,
His word is eternal,
His will is unchanging, and His mind is on me.
He is my Savior,
He is my guide, and He is my peace!
He is my Joy,
He is my comfort,
He is my Lord, and He rules my life!
I serve Him because His bond is love,
His burden is light, and His goal for me is abundant life. I follow Him because He is the wisdom of the wise, the power of the powerful, the ancient of days, the ruler of rulers, the leader of leaders, the overseer of the overcomers, and is to come. And if that seems impressive to you, try this for size. His goal is a relationship with ME!
He will never leave me, never forsake me,
never mislead me, never forget me,
never overlook me and never cancel my appointment in His appointment book!
When I fall, He lifts me up!
When I fail, He forgives!
When I am weak, He is strong!
When I am lost, He is the way!
When I am afraid, He is my courage!
When I stumble, He steadies me!
When I am hurt, He heals me!
When I am broken, He mends me!
When I am blind, He leads me!
When I am hungry, He feeds me!
When I face trials, He is with me!
When I face persecution, He shields me!
When I face problems, He comforts me!
When I face loss, He provides for me!
When I face Death, He carries me Home!
He is everything for everybody everywhere, every time, and every way. He is God, He is faithful. I am His, and He is mine! My Father in heaven can whip the father of this world.
So, if you're wondering why I feel so secure, understand this... He said it and that settles it.
God is in control, I am on His side,
and that means all is well with my soul.
Everyday is a blessing for GOD Is!


A season (a life) of giving by John Fischer
The holidays are here and gift giving once again moves to center stage. It’s easy to become cynical about this because of the over-commercialization of Christmas, but, as always, there is truth hidden in the bright lights, the colorful boxes, and the rush of shoppers bringing home their treasures.
Where did all this gift giving come from anyway if it didn’t come from God? No, God and Macy’s are not in cahoots; it’s just that God started it all. God in heaven gave us the most perfect gift for all seasons, his only Son, who brought light to the world and forgiveness of sins through his death on the cross and resurrection from the grave. But it doesn’t stop there. His is a gift that keeps on giving. It keeps on giving because his life is born in all who believe, and his presence in the world is perpetuated by the spiritual gifts he gives all believers by which we reach out to those around us.
Think about it: A big, beautifully wrapped box arrives for each one of us from God himself – a personal gift with our name on it. Inside is a special gifting through which we can touch the people around us by way of the words we say and the things we do. It’s called our “spiritual gift” but it’s really a kind of gifting that enables us to do something for someone else. This puts a whole new slant on gifts, whatever the season.
I can remember Christmases growing up where I would arrange all my gifts neatly into a pile on my bed after all the presents were opened. It was always a smaller pile than I anticipated, but it was mine nonetheless. Christmas, in spite of the joy and excitement, was always a little bit of a disappointment because the gifts ran out. There was always the last gift – nothing more to open. My gifts stopped with what I could play with (until it broke) or what I could wear.
But God gives gifts that help us become givers as well. That’s a big difference. His gifts to us enable us to turn around and enrich others. Gifts like mercy, faith, encouragement, wisdom, knowledge, healing, and discernment flow out of the brightly colored packages we unwrap every day from our Father. These are not gifts we pile up on our bed and look at. These are gifts that perpetuate the life of Christ in us. And they keep on giving for the rest of our lives, or as long as we use them.
This season, if you are able, give a gift that will warm a heart, but don’t forget the gifts we have from our Father that keep on giving all year long, and be just as intentional about receiving and giving those as well. What do you have, and who can you give it to?


Cost of Christmas: $18,920

The price of the partridge, the pear tree and the rest of the '12 Days' goodies is up 3.1% this year, thanks to rising labor costs.

If Christmas feels a bit more expensive this year, you can blame it on the pear tree -- as well as the lords a-leaping, the ladies dancing and the drummers drumming.

The annual PNC Christmas Price Index, based on the cost of the items in "The 12 Days of Christmas," rose 3.1% this year, with the sharpest increase coming from the 44% jump in pear tree prices.

"Robust commercial construction is sparking landscapers' demand for ornamental trees, such as the species of pear used in the survey."

But it was low unemployment -- and, consequently, higher labor costs -- that really put the bite in the holidays this year.

"After years of stagnation, wages for skilled workers, including the song's dancers and musicians, have increased as the labor market has tightened. Also, a decline in the housing market has dampened demand for luxury goods, such as gold rings."

According to the 22nd annual survey, the cost of "The 12 Days of Christmas" is $18,920 in 2006, compared with $18,349 in 2005.

The largest dollar increase this year came from rising labor costs, which exceeded the rate of inflation for the first time in years.

According to Philadanco, the Philadelphia Dance Company, the cost of nine ladies dancing was $4,759, 4% more than in 2006. The women's wage increase outstripped those of their performing peers: The cost of lords a-leaping rose 3%, while the musicians -- the drummers drumming and the pipers piping -- earned 3.4% more than in 2005.

Maids a-milking, who are paid the minimum wage, were the only service providers not to see an increase this year. The federal minimum wage has been set at $5.15 per hour since 1997. Inflation since 1996 has steadily eroded the purchasing power of the hourly minimum, which would be worth $4.04 in 1996 dollars.

The price of the partridge (as well as that of turtle doves, French hens, geese and swans) was flat this year, according to The Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Gardens, as the cost of fuel to ship the birds leveled off. The avian exception was calling birds, which were purchased at a national pet store chain and increased 20%.

Gold rings also stayed constant this year despite a cost increase in the raw material -- gold -- because of softening demand for luxury goods.

the "True Cost of Christmas," which is the total cost of items gifted by a True Love who repeats all of the song's verses. This holiday season, very generous True Loves will pay more than ever before -- $75,122 -- for all 364 items, up from $72,608 in 2005. This 3.5% increase is substantially less than last year's 9.5% increase.


"A Letter from Jesus"
Dear Children,
It has come to my attention that many of you are upset that folks are taking my name out of the season. Maybe you've forgotten that I wasn't actually born during this time of the year, and that it was some of your predecessors who decided to celebrate my birthday on what was actually a time of pagan festival. Although I do appreciate being remembered anytime.
How I personally feel about this celebration can probably be most easily understood by those of you who have been blessed with children. Children want to please, but they must get along with others and be obedient in the process. Now, having said this, let me go on.
If it bothers you that the town in which you live doesn't allow a scene depicting my birth, share my story with your neighbor. If all my children did that, there wouldn't be any need for such a scene on the town square. Stop worrying about the fact that people are calling the Christmas tree a holiday tree. It was I who made all trees. You can and may remember me anytime you see any tree. (Decorate a grape vine if you wish. I actually spoke of that one in the Gospel of John, chapter 15.)
If you want to give me a present, here is my wish list. Choose from it:
1. Instead of writing protest letters objecting to the way my birthday is being celebrated, write letters of love and hope to those who are away from home. They are terribly afraid and lonely this time of year. I know; they tell me all the time.
2. Visit someone in a nursing home. You don't have to know them personally. They just need to know that someone cares about them.
3. Instead of writing your employer complaining about the wording on his holiday card, why don't you write and tell him that you'll be praying for him and his family this year. Then follow up.
4. Instead of giving your children a lot of gifts that you can't afford, and they don't need; spend time with them. Tell them the story of my life, and why I came to earth. Hold them in your arms, and remind them that I love them.
5. Pick someone that has hurt you in the past, and forgive him or her.
6. Did you know that someone in your town will attempt to take their own life this season because they feel alone and hopeless? Since you don't know who that person is, try giving everyone you meet a warm smile. It will make the difference.
7. Instead of nit picking about what the retailer in your town calls the holiday, be patient with him. Give him a warm smile and a kind word. Even if he is not allowed to wish you a "Merry Christmas," that doesn't keep you from being nice. Then stop shopping there on Sunday. If the store didn't make so much money on that day, they'd close and let their employees spend the day at home with their families.
8. Here's a good one. If you really want to make a difference, support a missionary, especially one who takes my love and good news to those who have never heard my name. You already know someone like that.
9. There are individuals and whole families in your town who will not have a holiday meal. Neither will they have any presents to give or receive. If you don't know them (and I suspect you don't), buy some food and a few gifts, and give them to the Church. They will make the delivery for you.
10. Finally, if you want to make a statement about your belief in me, then behave like you know me. Don't do things in secret that you wouldn't do in my presence. Let people know by your actions that you are one of my children. I LOVE YOU
Jesus
P.S. Don't worry, for I'll take care of you and the rest of your siblings. Don't forget that I am God, and your time on earth is short. Love me, trust me, and obey me.


WHO IS THE REAL SANTA CLAUS?

The true story of Santa Claus begins with Nicholas, who was born during the third century in the village of Patara. At the time the area was Greek and is
now on the southern coast of Turkey. His wealthy parents, who raised him to be a devout Christian, died in an epidemic while Nicholas was still young.

Obeying Jesus' words to "sell what you own and give the money to the poor," Nicholas used his whole inheritance to assist the needy, the sick, and the suffering. He dedicated his life to serving God and was made Bishop of Myra while still a young man. Bishop Nicholas became known throughout the land for his generosity to those in need, his love for children, and his concern for sailors and ships. The anniversary of his death became a day of celebration, St. Nicholas Day.

Through the centuries many stories and legends have been told of St. Nicholas' life and deeds. These accounts help us understand his extraordinary character and why he is so beloved and revered as protector and helper of those in need.

One story tells of a poor man with three daughters. In those days a young woman's father had to offer prospective husbands something of value—a dowry. The larger the dowry, the better the chance that a young woman would find a good husband. Without a dowry, a woman was unlikely to marry. This poor man's daughters, without dowries, were destined to be sold into slavery.

Mysteriously, on three different occasions, a bag of gold appeared in their home-providing the needed dowries. The bags of gold, tossed through an open
window, are said to have landed in stockings or shoes left before the fire to dry. This led to the custom of children hanging stockings or putting out
shoes, eagerly awaiting gifts from Saint Nicholas. Sometimes the story is told with gold balls instead of bags of gold. That is why three gold balls, sometimes represented as oranges, are one of the symbols for St. Nicholas. And so St. Nicholas is a gift-giver.

Other stories tell of Nicholas saving his people from famine, sparing the lives of those innocently accused, and much more. He did many kind and
generous deeds in secret, expecting nothing in return. He is known as the friend and protector of all in trouble or need.

Through the centuries St. Nicholas has continued to be venerated by Catholics and Orthodox and honored by Protestants. By his example of generosity to those in need, especially children, St. Nicholas continues to be a model for the compassionate life.

Widely celebrated in Europe, St. Nicholas' feast day, December 6th, kept alive the stories of his goodness and generosity. In Germany and Poland, boys dressed as bishops begged alms for the poor—and sometimes for themselves! In the Netherlands and Belgium, St. Nicholas arrived on a steamship from Spain to ride a white horse on his gift-giving rounds. December 6th is still the main
day for gift giving and merrymaking in much of Europe. For example, in the Netherlands St. Nicholas' Day is celebrated with the sharing of candies (thrown in the door), chocolate initial letters, small gifts, and riddles. Dutch children leave carrots and hay in their shoes for the horse, hoping St. Nicholas will exchange them for small gifts.
Excerpts on St. Nicholas taken from ~ http://www.stnicholascenter.org

Just as St. Nicholas paid for the lives of the three daughters, Jesus paid for our sins when he died on the cross for us so that we will never have to be slaves to sin. We receive many gifts at Christmastime, but the gift of new life is Jesus is the best one for eternity.

BIBLE VERSE

We know that the persons we used to be were nailed to the cross with Jesus. This was done, so that our sinful bodies would no longer be the slaves of sin. We know that sin doesn't have power over dead people. As surely as we died with Christ, we believe we will also live with him. Romans 6:6-8 Contemporary English Version

PRAYER

Dear Jesus, thank you for dying to free me from my sins. Show me ways that I can help those in need like St. Nicholas did so long ago. Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home