Thursday, August 12, 2010

August 8

Too many Christians are no longer fishers of men but keepers of the aquarium.

The more the world whips around us, the deeper we must drive the stake of God into the ground of our soul.

Every morning when you get up, refuse to dwell on what you did wrong the day before. Refuse to dwell on yesterday's disappointments.
Get up each day knowing that God is a loving and forgiving God, and he has great things in store for you.

If you make your church important, it is quite likely to return the favor.

Many people go to church praying that they will hear preaching that will hit someone else.

A church without a purpose is like a house without a door - it has no reason to exist.

"Cured ham? No thanks, pal. Cured of what? What if it has a relapse on my plate?


The church is not made up of people who are better than the rest, but of people who are trying to become better than they are.

My young grandson called the other day to wish me Happy Birthday. He asked me how old I was, and I told him, "60."
He was quiet for a moment, and then he asked, "Did you start at 1?"

It is impossible for you and me to shine as lights in the world as long as we have our hearts focused on fear, or doubt God’s ability to save. As long as I am worried about anything, I’m not very likely to be shining very brightly for Jesus Christ. --Rocky Henriques

Knowing What The Saddle Is For (By Rocky Henriques)
We're told that it is a very frightening experience for a wild horse to feel a saddle on his back for the first time. Some horses react with anger. They rear back and kick and struggle to get away. Their nostrils flare, their eyeballs roll back, and panic takes over. But other horses are so afraid that they can't move. They just stand in one spot as though frozen, shaking and trembling like a leaf on a tree.
Many Christians are just like that. Take a good look at yourself. When something unpleasant or threatening happens, do you react with anger, lashing out at other people, even at God? Perhaps something has occurred which you cannot control or change, and you're so angry about it that you are determined someone is going to pay for your discomfort. You say, "God, You did this to me!" or you ask, "God, why did You let this happen?" Or do you react with such fear that you are essentially immobilized? You're afraid to step one way or the other, thinking that if you do anything you'll make a fatal mistake?
The mature Christian, the one who is constantly growing in Christ, can be compared to a horse which has learned to trust his trainer, and knows what the saddle is for. He knows that when the saddle of trouble and difficulty is suddenly thrust upon him, it is there for a purpose. That purpose may be known only to our Heavenly Father, but as long as He knows it, the mature Christian doesn't kick and rebel.

How to Solve Your Physical Problems.
Yesterday I went to the doctor for my yearly physical. My blood pressure was high, my cholesterol was high, I'd gained some weight, and I didn't feel so hot.
My doctor said eating right doesn't have to be complicated and it would solve my physical problems. He said just think in colors; Fill your plate with bright colors; greens, yellows, reds, etc.
I went right home and ate an entire bowl of M&M's and sure enough, I felt better immediately. I never knew eating right could be so easy

A grandmother was telling her little granddaughter what her own childhood was like: "We used to skate outside on a pond. I had a swing made from a tire; it hung from a tree in our front yard. We rode our pony. We picked wild raspberries in the woods." The little girl was wide-eyed, taking this in. At last she said, "I sure wish I'd gotten to know you sooner!"
A little girl was diligently pounding away on her grandfather's computer. She told him she was writing a story. "What's it about?" he asked.
"I don't know," she replied. "I can't read."

I didn't know if my granddaughter had learned her colors yet, so I decided to test her. I would point out something and ask what color it was. She would tell me, and always she was correct. But it was fun for me, so I continued. At last she headed for the door, saying sagely, "Grandma, I think you should try to figure out some of these yourself!"

A West Virginia state trooper stopped a woman for going 15 miles over the speed limit. After he handed her a ticket, she asked him, "Don't you give out warnings?" "Yes, ma'am," he replied. "They're all up and down the road. They say, 'Speed Limit 55.' "

Summer Break was over and the teacher was asking the class about their vacations. She turned to little Johnny and asked what he did over the break.
"We visited my grandmother in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania," he replied.
"That sounds like an excellent vocabulary word," the teacher said. "Can you tell the class how you spell that?"
Little Johnny thought about it and said, "You know, come to think of it, we went to Ohio."
DETERMINATION
"Determination gives you the resolve to keep going in spite of the roadblocks that lay before you." -- Denis Waitley

"Just don't give up trying to do what you really want to do. Where there is love and inspiration, I don't think you can go wrong." -- Ella Fitzgerald

"I never failed once. It just happened to be a 2000l-step process." -- Thomas A. Edison

"It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. IF you think about that, you'll do things differently." -- Warren Buffett

"All of us are entitled to our own opinions, but not our own facts." - Daniel Moynihan, former U.S. senator

"On cable TV they have a weather channel – 24 hours of weather. We had something like that where I grew up. We called it a window." - Dan Spencer

"I know God won't give me more than I can handle. I just wish he didn't trust me so much." - Mother Theresa

"Any married man should forget his mistakes, there's no use in two people remembering the same thing." "Freedom of speech is wonderful - right up there with the freedom not to listen"

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." -- Gerald Rudolph Ford

"The person who upsets you the most is your best teacher, because they bring you face to face with who you are." -- Lynn Andrews

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

"Character, in the long-run, is the decisive factor in the life of an individual and of nations alike." – Theodore Roosevelt

"The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by obvious realities. We need men and women who can dream of things that never were." -- John F. Kennedy

"If you love something, set it free. If it comes back, it will always be yours. If it doesn't come back, it was never yours to begin with. But, if it just sits in your living room, messes up your stuff, eats your food, uses your telephone, takes your money, and doesn't appear to realize that you had set it free....... You either married it or gave birth to it"

A song can often touch people in a way that a sermon can't. Music can bypass intellectual barriers and take the message straight to the heart


God has to push us out into some new place of difficulty in order to develop our faith and show us what He can do for us and through us. You will never know how God can use you until you venture upon Him and attempt more than you are equal to in your own strength and resources. --A. B. Simpson

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It appears that I am a year late. I have just found your blog while I was searching some of C.S. Lewis' stories. Of all the illustrations I have seen -- you have got it right.

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home