Thursday, August 12, 2010

June 6

A pastor was giving a lesson to a group of children on the 23rd Psalm. He noticed that one of the little boys seemed disquieted by the phrase "Surely, goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life..."
"What's wrong with that, Johnny?" the pastor asked.
"Well," answered Johnny, "I understand about having goodness and mercy, for God is good. But I'm not sure I'd like Shirley following me around all the time."


My bathroom scales are also beginning to show signs of inflation.

I was getting to the point of my conversation when suddenly my train of thought pulled out of the station, leaving me on the platform.

Death is not extinguishing the light from the Christian; it is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.

A Chinese supercomputer has been ranked as the world’s second-fastest machine, surpassing European and Japanese systems and underscoring China’s aggressive commitment to science and technology.
The Dawning Nebulae, based at the National Supercomputing Center in Shenzhen, China, has achieved a sustained computing speed of 1.27 petaflops — the equivalent of one thousand trillion mathematical operations a second — in the latest semiannual ranking of the world’s fastest 500 computers.
The world’s fastest computer remains the Cray Jaguar supercomputer, based at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee. Last November it was measured at 1.75 petaflops. The United States continues to be the dominant maker of supercomputers, and is the nation with the most machines in the top 500. The United States has 282 of the world’s fastest 500 computers on the new list, an increase from 277 when the rankings were compiled in November.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, Its learning to dance in the rain.


Ah, that’s the reason a bird can sing
On his darkest day he believes in Spring.
Douglas Malloch (1877-1938), You Have to Believe

I Believe in Miracles
I believe for every drop of rain that falls, a flower grows;
I believe that somewhere in the darkest night, a candle glows;
I believe for everyone who goes astray, someone will come to show the way;
I believe above the storm the smallest prayer will still be heard;
I believe that Someone in the great somewhere hears every word;
Every time I hear a newborn baby cry, or touch a leaf, or see the sky,
Then I know why, I believe. Erwin Drake, Irvin Graham, Jimmy Shirl, Al Stillman

WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR YOUR CHILDREN and/or grandchildren?
It is very difficult not to get caught up in the adventures and consequences of Hollywood's "bad girls." The names Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan and Nicole Richie dominate news shows, newspapers and magazines. These young ladies, all under the age of 26, have become famous more for their misdeeds than their accomplishments. It has been said, "Fame, money and power change everything." Would you agree?
It is also a sad commentary on our society when the young ladies mentioned above become the role models for pre-teen and teenage girls around the world. In a USAToday survey people said money, fame and the negative influence of Hollywood had more to do with their bad behavior than parents doing a poor job. I wonder? I believe parents matter and they matter a lot. I also would think the parents of the four troubled ladies are heartsick at what they see.

I wish the following for children:
* I want them to experience unconditional love, but with limits and parameters.
* I want them to grow under Christian influence. I want them to model their parents' values.
* I want their fathers to be their heroes, not some rock star or movie celebrity.
* I also want for them good guidance from their moms on what they wear, and how they look in public. Sometimes, parents must say "no" regardless of the reaction.
* I want for children open communication. I want them to be able to discuss anything with their parents.
* I also want them to understand the value of a dollar.
* I want for them friends who have good morals themselves, and good parental influence.
* I don't want our children to think Britney, Lindsay, Nicole and Paris are "cool." I love them too much.
What do you want for your children?
Be blessed and be a blessing.


Interest in Religion Increases on Campus
"There is probably more active religious life now [on campus] than there has been in 100 years," notes Harvard Professor Gomes, the university preacher. Gomes remembers when religious people on campus felt under siege or were seen as not very bright. No longer. Today on campuses across the nation, including Harvard and Berkeley, chaplains and professors are seeing more interest in religion and spirituality than at any time they can remember. At the University of California at Berkeley, alone, there are now more than 50 Christian organizations and student attendance at nearby churches has increased significantly.

"In the midst of a generation screaming for answers, Christians are stuttering." - Howard Hendricks

Who Says?
Philosophers say… Think your way out.
Intellectuals say… Read your way out.
Artists say… Create your way out.
Scientists say… Invent your way out.
Politicians say… Legislate your way out.
Industrialists say… Work your way out.
Businessmen say… Spend your way out.
Satan says… There is no way out.
Jesus says… “I am the Way the Truth and the Life: no man comet unto the Father but by Me.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home