Tuesday, April 24, 2007

April 22

Many questions will continue to surround the events of this awful day. What could have caused such an outrageous action? Why did so many have to die? How could such a tragedy have been prevented? Some may even question, "Where was God?" The circumstances for such questions remind us of the broken and fallen world in which we live, where evil still has its day as the "devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour."
While one may never be able to explain fully to satisfaction the many queries of this incident, one can find the answer for hope in such times in the Lord Jesus Christ. The Easter message of His resurrection reminds us that He has destroyed the power of sin, death, and the devil. From the hollowness of an empty tomb comes the message of comfort and healing that alone can fill the emptiness of lives left vacant by the sadness and sorrow in the tragic death of fellow students and family members and friends. In the most tragic of circumstances we have hope, for God is there "reconciling the world unto himself in Christ."
Even though we cannot in this life fully understand the mysteries of God, we can be sure of His love for us. Amid the dangers of our sinful world and fragile, fleeting lives, we turn to Christ as our eternal comfort and hope. We find solace in St. Paul's words to the Romans: "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Rom. 8:38-39).
"Christianity does not deny the reality of evil or try to hide from its true horror. Christians dare not minimize evil nor take refuge in euphemisms. Beyond this, we cannot accept that evil will have the last word. The last word will be the perfect fulfillment of the grace and justice of God." - R. Albert Mohler Jr.,

Why in heaven's name was there 153 fish? Have you ever wondered about that? No? Well others have. Cyril of Alexandria in the 5th century said that the 100 represented the fullness of the gentiles, the 50 symbolized the remnant of Israel and the three of course was there for the Trinity.
Augustine’s theory (5th century) was a little more complicated. He said, there are 10 commandments and 7 is the perfect number of grace and that’s 17 right? Now if you add all the numbers from 1 to 17 together, you know 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 all the way up to 17 you’ll get 153. And not only that but if you were to arrange them with 17 fish in the first row, and 16 in the next row, and 15 in the next row, all the way down to a row of 1 you get a perfect triangle which of course symbolizes the Trinity.
Jerome, he also lived in the 5th century, suggested that there were 153 different types of fish in the sea and it was symbolic of the church reaching all the people in the world.
Or the simple one is that at that time there were 153 nations. Jesus said: Go into the whole world. You will be fishers of men.

"If you find yourself loving any pleasure more than your prayers, any book better than the Bible, any house better than the house of the Lord, any table better than the Lord's table, any person better than Christ, or any indulgence better than the hope of heaven - be alarmed." - Thomas Guthrie


“I always tell the kids, ‘You know what’s great about going the extra mile? There’s very little traffic.’” – Jim Larranaga, George Mason University basketball coach

“We are always complaining that our days are few, and acting as though there would be no end to them.” –Lucius Annaeus Seneca, Roman philosopher

“Opportunity’s favorite disguise is trouble.” – English proverb

“Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." – Sydney J. Harris

When our lawn mower broke and wouldn't run, my wife kept hinting to me that I should get it fixed. But, somehow I always had something else to take care of first, the truck, the car, playing golf - always something more important to me.
Finally she thought of a clever way to make her point. When I arrived home one day, I found her seated in the tall grass, busily snipping away with a tiny pair of sewing scissors. I watched silently for a short time and then went into the house. I was gone only a minute, and when I came out again I handed her a toothbrush.
I said, "When you finish cutting the grass, you might as well sweep the driveway."
The doctors say I will walk again, but I will always have a limp.
Moral to this story : Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right, and the other is the husband.

When you come to a sudden bump in the road... Never allow your life circumstances to define you, instead, let them refine you. Hard things are like heavenly sandpaper upon your life! God uses them to shape and mold you into a work of art. When you feel the pressure of trials, remember that God won't allow them to crush you, he intends for them to make you beautiful. 2 Cor. 4:8-9

Our problem is that we try to control evil from without when, in fact, it resides within us. Having abandoned the teaching of right and wrong and accountability for one's actions for fear of offending a person's sensibilities, we have unilaterally disarmed ourselves against evil. We don't need more gun control. We need more self-control. - Cal Thomas


"I'm a SENIOR CITIZEN"
I'm usually interested in going home before I get to where I am going.
I'm good on a trip for at least an hour without my aspirin, antacid...
I'm the life of the party... even when it lasts until 8 PM.
I'm awake many hours before my body allows me to get up.
I'm smiling all the time because I can't hear a word you're saying.
I'm very good at telling stories.....over and over and over and over
I'm aware that other people's grandchildren are not as cute as mine.
I'm wrinkled, saggy, lumpy, and that's just my left leg.
I'm so cared for: long term care, eye care, private care, dental care...
I'm sure everything I can't find is in a secure place.
I'm not grouchy, I just don't like traffic, waiting, crowds, politicians...
I'm wondering, if you're only as old as you feel, how could I be alive at 100?
I'm in the initial stage of my golden years: SS, CD's, IRA'S, AARP.....
I'm a walking storeroom of facts.....I've just lost the key to the storeroom door.
I'm a SENIOR CITIZEN and I think I am having the time of my life!!!

Saint Theresa's prayer:
May today there be peace within. May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be. May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith. May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you. May you be content knowing you are a child of God. Let this presence settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love. It is there for each and every one of us.

A Father is a man with pictures in his wallet, where he used to keep his money when he was single.

"Inspiration without perspiration leads to frustration and stagnation." -- Bill Bright

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home