Sunday, November 15, 2009

September 13

New Church Bulletin Bloopers
*Next Friday we will be serving hot gods for lunch.
*If you would like to make a donation, fill out a form, enclose a check and drip in the collection basket.
*Women's Luncheon: Each member bring a sandwich. Polly Phillips will give the medication.
*Karen's beautiful solo: "It is Well With My Solo."
*Congratulations to Tim and Ronda on the birth of their daughter October 12 thru 17.
*If you choose to heave during the Postlude, please do so quietly.
*We are grateful for the help of those who cleaned up the grounds around the church building and the rector.
*Hymn: "I Love Thee My Ford."
*Sign-up sheet for anyone wishing to be water baptized on the table in the foyer.
*Newsletters are not being sent to absentees because of their weight.
*Helpers are needed! Please sign up on the information sheep.
*The Advent Retreat will be held in the lover level of St. Mary's Cathedral.
*The District Duperintendent will be meeting with the church boared.
*As soon as the weather clears up, the men will have a goof outing.
*Fifth Sinday is Lent.
*Thank you, dead friends.
*Diana and Don request your presents at their wedding.
*Lent is a period for preparing for Holy Weed and Easter.
*Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget all His benefits.
*For the word of God is quick and powerful...piercing even to the dividing asunder of soup and spirit.
*Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peach to men.

"Our joy will be complete if we remain in his love--for his love is personal, intimate, real, living, delicate, faithful love." - Mother Teresa

* I have a sign in the mirror of my room I see it every morning in my groggy condition, when I first wake up: WHAT HAVE YOU GOT GOING TODAY, GOD? I'D LIKE TO BE A PART OF IT. THANKS FOR LOVING ME.

I have to find my place in God's plans, rather than make my own little plans and then ask God to support them: "Come on, God, give me an A in this course. Come on, God, do this for me." Instead, I pray, "What have you got going today, God? You love this world. You loved this world into life. You created this world. We're all yours. What's my part in the drama? What part do you want me to play? I will play any part you say. Want me to be a success? I'll be a success for you. Want me to be a failure? I'll fail for you. Whatever you want." That's the condition of successful prayer. -- John Powell, "Prayer as Surrender"

Many Different Christs Are Offered
Marva Dawn in Reaching Out without Dumbing Down suggests the possibility of different christs today when she writes: At the 1987 Vancouver World's Fair, the Christian pavilion's presentation utilized glitzy double-reversed photography and flashing lasers. When I tried to explain my qualms about the production to an attendant who had asked me how I liked their "show," she protested that it had saved many people. I asked, "Saved by what kind of Christ?" If people are saved by a spectacular Christ, will they find him in the fumbling of their own devotional life or in the humble services of local parishes where pastors and organists make mistakes? Will a glitzy portrayal of Christ nurture in new believers his character of willing suffering and sacrificial obedience? Will it create an awareness of the idolatries of our age and lead to repentance? And does a flashy, hard-rock sound track bring people to a Christ who calls us away from the world's superficiality to deeper reflection and meditation? [p. 50]

Leonard Bernstein, the celebrated orchestra conductor, was asked, what is the hardest instrument to play. He replied without hesitation: "Second fiddle. I can always get plenty of first violinists, but to find one who plays second violin with as much enthusiasm or second French horn or second flute, now that's a problem. And yet if no one plays second, we have no harmony."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home